Friday, October 16, 2015

What have I become, and is it normal?

Is this normal?

Seriously, I am asking anyone who reads my blog and who is a long distance runner. Is this normal?

I went out to play Cards Against Humanities again last night. I mentioned at the beginning that I was a runner. Then during a break a couple asked me what I did for fun outside of running. Uuuuuuuuh. I couldn't think. I literally did not have an answer other than, "Well, I'm training for a marathon and so my focus is pretty much on running right now." They were very impressed by it.

I do loads of stuff. Seriously, I do! I have lots of hobbies that I'll dabble in then take a break from. I think I said something like that to them, but I can't remember. Even though I don't do it all the time I like: drawing, watercolor painting, writing, and learning to play an instrument (I have two). There is more, but I can't remember them right now. Sheesh! I remember the day when I would rattle off all my interests and hobbies and people would be like, "Oh cool!". Granted, most who hear that I'm training for a full marathon say the same thing, but it feels a little different.

Seriously! I had full intentions to clean my apt,
but my couch wouldn't let me go! It has happened
multiple times! i fall for it every time!
Then! When I got home from my half marathon last Sunday, I realized how horrible my apartment looks. Once I thought there was a glimmer of a light at the end of the tunnel in getting the place cleaned up it explodes again. It's horrible. I feel so claustrophobic and a slob staying here.

But I do not have the energy to clean it when I get home. I run in the morning then I have to spend the rest of my energy going to work. Sure, I have days off, but one of them I'm running my LSD. Then the other morning I want a life. I need help (again). Or a bomb. Or a fee-free move. Or a maid (my mom?). Or I just need to SIUP.

Speaking of energy. I'm starting to get tired. By Thursday, which is when I do my longest mid-week run, I really start using my 15 minute breaks and half of my lunch hour to sleep at work.
I need this. 

In some respects I know this is to be expected during marathon training. Then again, however, I don't know how other people do this. I don't have much of a social life beyond my family and one or two friends on my days off and maybe a card game night midweek. How do runners with children do it? I feel like I'm starting to struggle a little bit in starting to have/maintain a social life, work and the training.

Interestingly enough my running buddy had posted a marathon training schedule (Higdon approved) that may help, but I'm not sure yet. I'm half sold on trying it out. I'll talk about it later when I get a bit more time.

I'm also starting to think that I'm losing motivation. Maybe it's because I'm missing the excitement I had when I started my training in August. Novelty excitement doesn't last, that I know. Maybe there isn't as much motivation because I'm tired. Or that I'm missing the sunshine when I wake up (I haven't changed my alarm settings since August, but I snooze them more because I know it's still dark outside). Maybe it's because I'm secretly worried about hitting the 13+ miles starting Sunday (my first ever 15 miler is on Sunday).

So, yes! I'm sure this is normal. I'm sure something will kick me in the butt and set everything right again. I certainly don't want something bad to happen (trying not to jinx myself) either. Maybe I need to toot my own horn a bit more than often and getting that shallow attention from people will help (hmmmm)? Well, we'll see what happens, and we'll hope/pray that it's going to work!

It's normal. It's totally normal.

Right?

For those who have run a full marathon... 
What do you do to keep yourself motivated? 
What do you do to rest up, but have a life? 


Images found here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment