Wednesday, October 21, 2015

2015 Tyler Rose Half Marathon Race Recap

I am a badass. I know I said that before, in my last half marathon recap, but seriously! I did kick butt during this year's Tyler Rose Half Marathon!

I ran this race last year as part of my Four Seasons Challenge with Mellew Productions. For the second year in a row this race has proven to be rather nice. I wish I had taken some pictures throughout the morning, but I didn't. Oh, well. I can't win at being an awesome blogger all the time!

It all started out with leaving town at 5am with the hopes that my phone GPS won't get us lost in the dark, in the middle of nowhere (I did print out a map just in case). When we eventually found our way to Hwy 20 outside of Terrell we had to stop at Buc-ee's to get a muffin (we were hungry and didn't know what to expect at the race). Food in hand then tummy we continued on our way. We arrived with about 45 minutes to spare (whew!).

We got our packets and our cozy feeling hoodies (it's going to be yummy during the cooler weather!). The pickup up was really simple and quick, which was awesome, especially after going through the worry of race day pickup at an out of town race. Then it was on to join the indoor bathroom line before gear check. After all said and done, we had 15 minutes to join the back of the group at the Start line.

The weather was nice - around 65 degrees or so by the time we were there. I knew that once the sun came out it would be warmer regardless. It was a little rough deciding if I should change into a running tee instead of my tank top. But, in the end I was glad I decided to keep the tank on.

THE COURSE
The course is definitely hilly, but nothing that I could not handle this time around. This was definitely not like the Badass Brazos Half Marathon course with its mountains! For the most part I ran up every single hill (See I told you I was a badass and killed it!).

Course support was minimal, but nice nonetheless. The first water station wasn't until after Mile 3, which was a little rough for H, who was planning on only walking at the water stations. I had played along with that idea, but after Mile 4 I decided that I would pick up a 2 mile interval plan instead. I followed that idea for the most part, but I did pause to stretch or walk through a water station/crest of a hill or two when I needed. I did see numerous medics around, which was nice. I didn't see very many porta potties (perhaps 3 all together), which felt like not enough. Thankfully I had no GI problems this time around, and I didn't have to worry about it. But I would've been up shit creek (haha!) if I did because of the minimal amount of potties.

Since Heather and I had 1.5 hrs to kill in the car that morning, we didn't talk much during the race. However, for the most part we stayed together. It wasn't until the last few miles did I leave her in my dust. She had an achy knee, and I finally did all the number crunching and figured if I dug deep enough and make it up the last hill OK I could possibly PR.

At the end, as you are finishing off Mile 13 there is one big hill you have to get up with oncoming traffic to your right. It's a little rough when you're tired, but it's totally do able. Then you, after turning left to head back to the Rose Garden, there are smaller rolling hills to get up. It totally reminds me of the Austin Half Marathon (Enflield Hill at 12 and the little monster of a hill at 13). But I did it and ran up it all!

The finish is a bit tricky in the fact that once you enter the garden and pass under one timing chip sensor you still have to turn right and run down the perfectly green lawn to the real finish line. The first sensor is great in the fact that they know who you are and they will announce your name as you come running in (I love that!). You have to slow down quickly after you cross the finish so that you don't run into other runners, medal givers, water givers or trip into the fountain behind everyone.


FUELING
Well, since I'm marathon training right now and thinking about fuel I thought I'd mention my fueling. I can't take certain fuels one would find at a running store because of my thyroid pill (no calcium, no vitamin C, no iron for a few hours after taking it). So! I obviously went with what I've been trying out on my training runs - blueberry Eggo waffles with peanut butter. I tore the waffles into pieces and made little sandwiches. It was kept in a ziploc baggy and McGyvered to my belt. It worked out well. No tummy troubles, as I mentioned earlier. At around Mile 5 I took a bite. During the later miles though I eat a bite or two. I did notice that I would get a hunger cramp because I didn't eat enough and the water made it a little worse. I would have to walk a little, but after I got some more fuel in I felt better. Whew!

POST RACE
After H crossed the finish line we headed indoors. We both loved smelling the heavy rose scent that the Center had (which was probably a good thing because there were lots of runners this year!). We grabbed some food - Kellogg Nutri-Grain bars and a egg, potato and cheese tacos. Yum! We got our bags for gear check. Then we headed out to the showers! Yes, showers! Thanks to the Green Acres Baptist church for bringing their shower truck! Inside the trailer (sectioned off Men's/Women's) were three shower stalls. There was a little stool in front of each stall. In the stall, behind the curtain, was the shower head and a soap dispenser with body soap/shampoo combo. The knob was a bit high above your head, if you were short (which I'm not). I brought a camping towel to use, but apparently I you could ask for a towel. I also brought some face soap in my hopeful attempt to not break out again! There wasn't any air circulating in the showers, so you were still a little sweaty when you get dressed, but it was totally worth it all. I loved the moment we stepped out and the cooler air hit us and cooled us down. Aaaaaah!

We found my car, and we headed straight to Chuy's Tex-Mex! One of my most favorite places to go after a race. I asked for a big ol' cup of unsweet tea (a rare thing for me) and a big ol' cup of water. So good. Then chips and salsa. Then chicken fajitas! So good! Yum!

Then it was off back to Dallas.

OVERALL THOUGHTS 
Thinking back on it now, this is such a good race. The course is nice with lots of pretty houses to look at. Mile 10 - 11 are flat, which helps when you're trying to pick up momentum at the end (which I totally took advantage of!). There were hills to make to challenging just enough, but nothing too hard. The spectators on the course were nice and cheered for you even if you were a stranger (just like Austin). The start/finish venue is nice. It had indoor pluming, tables and chairs to sit at, indoor gear check, a rose garden to take pictures in (gah! I can't believe we did the whole thing without taking a picture. That's so unlike us!). There was plenty of parking. There was a shower truck. Nice.

WOULD I RUN THIS RACE AGAIN
Yes, definitely!

FINISH TIME
02:34:38 - that's a PR, baby! 



Did you race this weekend?






Image(s) found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment