Thursday, August 13, 2015

Beginner Series - Clothes and Shopping... The Addiction!

After I wrote my post about getting into walking/running I realized that I could've talked all day about clothes and shoes in that post! That totally meant that I needed to write another post just on this topic... cause seriously... who doesn't like talking about clothes and shopping and running?

Now, for the sake of... me... I'm going to refer to the clothes as "running clothes." But, these clothes can count towards walkers and cross training people!

Where to Go for Running Clothes
Some people may think that you need to buy all of your clothes at the local running store. You could if you wanted to... and your bank allowed you to too. Some people may only want name brand clothes where you pay for the logo. Then there are people like me that pretty much finds deals wherever she goes to, and if she can score anything Saucony she's doing the happy dance!

So! Where to get your cool running duds? I've bought things from: 
  • Target 
  • Old Navy (my favorite place right now!)
  • Academy Sports and Outdoors (their BCG brand is inexpensive)
  • Dick's Sporting Goods 
  • Local running stores 
  • Name Brand website/outlets websites 
You may want to also try:
  • Local thrift stores
  • TJMaxx
  • Ross 
  • Amazon 
  • Outlet malls
Now! Even though I just said you could get stuff at a place other than a running store there are some exceptions to the rules, which I'll mention below!

They say running is one of the cheapest/free-est sports out there... LIE!

Shoes and Socks
The #1 important thing that you need to buy... no matter the cost (cause there is no way around it, really)... is buying fitted running shoes. This is not a "oh, I'll go buy some running shoes at DSW or Target" type shoes. This is go to a running store and talk an employee (who is a runner) and have them fit you in a shoe that is best for your feet. They may have run around the store, outside the store or on a treadmill. 

When I first started out running I had crappy cross trainers from Target. I didn't get fitted for real running shoes until a year after my first 5k. I remember walking and jogging in a pair of Saucony Omi going, "Ooooh. Yum!" which is a really good sign when it comes to shoes for me. I've replaced these shoes a couple of times already (running shoes only last about 500 miles).

So! Bottom line... get shoes at a running store!

Now, as for socks! There are so many types! I started out with socks from Target, but switched to socks from the running store that like waaaaaay better. I prefer a little cushion to mine socks. I also like "no shows" cause I dislike seeing socks... and not to mention the not-so-awesome above the ankle sock tan line. Look at the running store and see what peaks your interested. 

Bras
You don't have to get running bras at a running store, but the women staff members will know their stuff and help you get fitted. What I like is my local store Run On! has Bras and Breakfast a couple times a year, which is an event for women to be fitted for bras and have some nom noms at the same time!

I have a couple Moving Comfort Fiona bras that have worked out great for me. Come to think of it, I've had them for over a year, but so far I haven't had any huge wear on them. But I'll need to get them replaced soon. I got fitted at the running store because I couldn't find a bra that stopped the bouncing from my B cups at any of the other stores. I've lost a little weight since then, but I'm still feeling secure, but, yeah, I'll be getting some new ones soon.

That being said, I did find one on uber clearance at Old Navy that is great for my cross training days!

Bottoms - Undies
Love these Runderpants! 
Ok. There is always the discussion on whether to go commando or to wear a thong or to wear shorts with benefits or to buy runderwear. I'll let in on a secret-that's-not-really-a-secret.... I wear runderwear. I wear compression shorts or capris most of the time. I wish I could wear regular running shorts with attached undies, but I do not want to worry about chafing (who doesn't!?!).

I'm in love with Saucony's hipster style Runderpants. I get full coverage in the back in and they do not ride up! Perfect! They also come in a brief style, but I was worried about coverage. I'm so glad I chose the hipster ones!

There are other brands that have their own runderewear, such as Under Armor, Moving Comfort, and the likes. Target's C9 now have their own undies too. All brands have different cuts too - bikini style or thong.

The choice is yours. You may end up trying several things out before you find the best thing for you. 

Bottoms - shorts, capris, skirts, leggings... oh, my!
Oh, bottoms. Something you really need if you end up running commando style! Hee hee!

This is a personal preference choice because all of our bodies are different shapes and sizes. It also depends on the season. Compared to men, women have gobs of choices!
  • shorts with or without benefits 
  • skirts with or without benefits
  • compression shorts
  • compression capris 
  • compression leggings
  • running dresses (yes, these are real!) 
For the warmer season, such as 70* and up, I wear compressions shorts that hit me mid thigh (bermuda style or a little shorter) because I still have enough curves that can cause some serious chafing down there.

For the cooler seasons 55* to 65*, I wear capris that go down to my knees. I just bought some awesome purple ones that I can't wait to wear in the fall!

In the colder season I wear full leggings that may or may not be lined with fleece.


Bottoms cont. - the color choices and those awkward sweat marks!
Everyone... for the most part... want those really cute colored shorts and capris. I admit, so do I. But I am also aware of those awkward sweat marks. You know... the ones that make it look like you peed your pants. Awkward. I know some people don't care... but I want to give newbies a heads up in case they care.

For the most part I only wear black bottoms. I do have ones that are black and charcoal from Old Navy, but I made sure that they don't show sweat. I also have a purple pair of capris, but then again I also tested them. How do I test, you ask. Well, this is gross, but I take a little bit of spit and test the hem area of the bottom to see if the fabric changes color. I know. I know. I know! Gross, but important!

I don't know what else I can say, for those who wear compression style bottoms... think about the sweat marks and if you care what others can see.


Tops
Seriously, there isn't much to worry about when it comes to tops. I wear tanks in the warmer/hot season, tees in the spring/fall and long sleeve in the winter time.

I will make a point about seams though. I tend to wear tops that are a little loser in the midsection just because I have to fit my shoulders, which are broad, first. I've tried some Academy BCG tops and I could feel the seams, even though it was suppose to be smooth seamed. Try the shirts on and move your arms like you would when you're walking/running. Do you feel any think rub? If you don't try a different size or a completely different top!


Outerwear 
What goes in this section is going to be the extra stuff like hats, gloves and pullovers. Most of this comes to personal preference, like a lot of things.


More Notes
Fabrics
Seriously. Do. Not. Wear. Cotton! Just say no to chafing! Find Dry Fit fabrics that wick moisture from the skin.  Trust me.

Runner's World What to Wear
Still wondering what to wear when it's a certain temperature outside? Runner's World can help you with their What to Wear advice page. Just select the info and it'll tell you what RW recommends. I've done this loads of time. After while you'll learn what is comfortable for you after you run/walk through the different seasons a few times.

The ADDICTION! 
Seriously, folks. Runners tend to have an addition to running clothes and shoes. You can never have enough. Never. Ever. I mentioned this to my friend J and she just nodded her head in agreement. Running is not an inexpensive sport!

Wearing a race shirt on race day
There is always talk among runners about wearing the official shirt for the race you are running. Some say it's a faux pas. Some don't care. I know some people actually worry about this. To read just a tip of the iceberg, read this article here. I generally don't wear the shirt until after the race because I'm superstitious.   

P.S. - In the time that spent working on this post... I've bought at least three more workout shirts, new running socks and a visor. Then! During Tax Free weekend I bought a pair of Oofos and a cool weather jacket that I will most likely wear even when I'm not running!

Seasoned runners... do you have any recommendations? 


2 comments:

  1. I love this post, I really like C9 running skirts that have the compression shorts underneath. Great advice on stores to look at for running gear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like C9 too! I also love Old Navy. What I'm having trouble finding this past year are compression shorts and leggings that don't have a mix of spandex and cotton. Give me complete synthetic moisture wicking fabrics, people!

    ReplyDelete