Wednesday, August 19, 2015

2015 Badass Brazos Half Marathon Race Recap

Not that there was any doubt before... but I'm now officially a badass! I completed the Badass Brazos Half Marathon the other Sunday!

This is a brand new race put on by the Run Project, and is located down in Waco, TX along the Brazos River. I was roped into it by my running buddy H a few months back. I've had good experiences with the Run Project's Too Hot to Handle races, and knew that their promotion of water stations every mile and ice towels along the course was a true thing. Granted at the time I wasn't thinking it would be a 105 degrees every day for weeks, but I knew it was going to be hot. The heat was the least of my concerns, as it turned out!

I have to say that this was by far the hardest course I've run on. Hands down. And it wasn't the heat that got me! I have to admit that I didn't really study the course like I typically do. If there isn't an elevation map I tend to create the course on Garmin Connect so I can see the elevation to see what I'm up against. This time I did not do this. Uh oh. My brother, who lived in Waco, said that there were hills in the area. He didn't mention that they were mountainous hills! (He responded with an "Oops!" when I told him later he lied to me!).


What I thought I had to worry about... 

Checkout that elevation!
PS... I know my pacing sucks...

COURSE
So! The course. We started out at the Waco Convention Center, which was a great spot. We followed the Brazos River heading into Cameron Park. Beautiful area. Soon enough we getting to some residential area. Then we hit the first hill. I ran up this one, but then wondered if that was a good thing to do. A group of ladies, who turned out to be locals, said that this wasn't the only hill. There were more. Oh, fun. At the top of the hill there were some great views, such as at Lover's Leap. Pretty much from then on, H and I said we'd go for a finish time that was in the 02:40s somewhere instead of the 02:30s, which was the original goal. 

At every hill H and I faced we walked up. For one thing we knew with the increasing heat and distance the more we ran up hills the more exhausted we'd get. There were times when the course were stretches of flat roads, which was great cause you could catch up on the time that was spent walking (oh, and running downhill helps too).

The finish was nice and climatic. For the last 0.10 of the race you got to run across the the old suspension bridge to the finish line. The closer you got to the line, the more people were sitting on the bridge, resting/waiting, and they'd clap for you. The only thing with this, however, is you had to be careful speeding up your pace cause the bridge had old boards. I was afraid I'd trip myself and have a complete face plant that would not only painful but also embarrassing!

SUPPORT 
As they promised there were water stations at every mile (not necessarily at each mile marker but really close) depending on the terrain. The water was cold, which was impressive! They also had red Gatorade that I did not drink. At one point there were the ice cold wet towels that you could drape around your neck or but on your head. That was wonderful! I pretty much did a combo of sipping the water then pouring it on top of my head or splashing it down my back or on my front and I used the towels for me neck.

Occasionally there was a person with a supersoaker water gun that, if allowed, would shoot you with water. That was fun and refreshing!

At the start/finish line we were allowed to use the indoor bathrooms!!!! YAY!!!! There were port-a-potties along the course. One or two here and there. We happened to pass some permanent potties in the Cameron Park, which was nice. I'm going to admit that they needed more port-a-potties because at around the halfway mark I was starting to face some GI troubles, the first time ever in a race. I would pass one potty and think I'd be OK (plus I didn't want to leave H hanging). But at around Mile 9 I had to walk longer because I was getting the occasional chill and cramps. Eventually at Mile 12 there was one last potty and I ran in and was totally saved! Despite not finishing in the time I really wanted to do, I was able to finish the race feeling waaaaay better. If I had to wait till the Finish to go potty, it would have been torturous and perhaps embarrassing!

After you finish and get your medal, you can get yourself over to the Athlete's Food Tent (oooh, I'm considered an athlete!) to get bananas, Uber Larabar, and a egg and potato burrito. There were other tents around to promote other races and so on, but I wasn't really paying attention to those after I finished.  

OVERALL THOUGHTS 
Not bad! The heat wasn't bad at all, even though I wish it'd been cooler. "Challenging" is most definitely the polite correct word to use when describing the course. The water station was one of the best things of the race. As was the starting/finishing location. There was plenty of parking by the convention center. We got to use the indoor bathrooms before and after the race. The Finish was really nice, and there were plenty of photo opportunities for all the runners. Packet pickup was outside right near the Finish (versus being inside the convention center), which was nice too.

My only recommendation is that they try to get more potties out there on the course. Just in case a runner is in desperate need.

Finally, I really wished I could have kept up with H and we finished together. I like it when we compete in who crosses the Finish Line first. But when I was having my GI troubles she went on ahead. She finished 4 minutes before I did. 

Oh! And the media is HUGE!!!


WOULD I RUN THIS RACE AGAIN?
Maybe. If I trained better for the mountains I could do better on the timing. But also if it doesn't get too hot. That being said, Run On did a great job for this race, which is definitely appealing for a second try!

FINISH TIME
Official finish time: 02:47:36 



No comments:

Post a Comment