Sunday, June 28, 2015

Not a Bad Weekend So Far...

I drool over new RW training guides! 
Ahhhh. This is me. I finished my first 10k training run in a veeeery long time this morning. Yes, I said morning! I haven't had the energy to do a morning run in a long time... or it might be the fact that I just prefer to sleep than get dressed in compression shorts and a sports bra at 6:30 or 7 in the morning. But today I did... even after a 30 minute snooze before I actually got up! I'm interested in seeing if this is because I started taking a supplements for my thyroid.

I drove to my nearby park with the hopes of running a 10k to kick my butt into shape again. Some days it's a rough time to do just a 5-miler at this park cause you pretty much have to run every single paved trail in the park (not counting the sidewalk along the main road that borders the park) and it can be daunting for some reason. So I started out on the outer boarder sidewalk to go to the "top" of the park - figuring out my path to get 6.2 miles done - aka basically how to add in an extra mile after doing the typical 5 mile path that will also easily get me back to my car. Well! As it turns out.... there is a brand new paved trail that connects a new neighborhood to the main park, just past all of the ducks and geese (side note: thankfully the boy geese were gone today - they're meanies! Trust me, I speak from experience!). Can we say, "SCORE!!!" 

See the tiny little clearing in the center of the left picture?
That's where the path goes and you have run up a weaving
trail to get there. The right picture is at the very
end of the trail at the turnaround. 
This new trail is just about 1 mile one way and was deserted. The first part wavy so that everyone can manage the hill. BTW, another score! This hill is great to train on! Then it straightens out a bit. What's nice for the lone runner is you're surrounded by houses... if you ever get in trouble... run to a house!

For a 10k, I feel pretty good. I was hoping that my core workouts would make a different, and I so far I could tell that my torso wasn't tired as much as I'd though. My hips were a little tired, though, so I need to make sure that I had hip strengthening exercise to my routine.

It was hot, but not crazy hot, which was a blessing of being able to start running at 7:30am. My pace was slow at an average 13:05 a mile. But it is summer time. Ugh.

So this was a great time this morning. But soon enough I'll have to go to work. Booooo!

Yesterday, on an unexpected day off I went shopping with the girls in the family. I scored big at Old Navy and Dick's Sporting Goods.

Can you see hints of the my cat Jack?
He gave his approval of my new clothes by laying on them. 

A awesome sports dress that fits me like a glove from Dick's - pretty much 50% off. Black everyday shorts in my new size. A pair of running shorts that I'll use for my cross training. A new sports bra to wear whenever (not running) and a new mesh-back tank for whenever and cross training. I can't wait to start wearing them!!! Too bad I can't wear them to work... well, maybe I can get away with the dress.

Speaking of work... I'm going to finish my coffee before getting ready for my Sunday work day. How work doesn't spoil this nice weekend!

Peace out, peeps!


How's your weekend going?  











No comments:

Post a Comment