Saturday, September 10, 2016

BCS Marathon Training - Progress Report 1

The first training update for this year's marathon training season? Whah?!?! Ok. Where to begin?!

Well, as you know that I'm running the BCS Marathon in December. I'm using the Novice 2 Hal Hidgon training schedule with some modification. I talk a little bit about it here.

Here's what's going on so far in training!

KEY
R = Rest*
# = Miles (running or cycling)
CT = Cross Training


*Rest days I don't do anything other than chill/work/walk 1 mile. I may do light core workouts, especially if I missed it on CT day.

WEEK #1 
8/R/6/R/5/CT/R

Sunday: 0 miles - I ran the SeaWheeze Half Marathon the day before, and Sunday I spent half the day walking around Vancouver, BC before going to the airport to come home. I was so tired! I didn't get home until Monday morning at 5:30am. Oh boy!

Tuesday: 6.01 miles - It was a challenging run. But I got it done. No rest for the weary!

Wednesday: Rest - Last I ended up not doing very much cross-training on Wednesday since I ended up being sore on my Thursday run. So total rest day!

Thursday: 5.01 miles - This was a "run" run in terms of the training schedule. Better than the 5 miles, but still a little challenge. Then, I did it. Later that night at work, I squatted down quickly to put something away and I tweaked something on the inside of my knee and the feeling went down my inside shin area. Damn.

Friday: 0 mile and 0 cross - Instead of going to the gym, I had to spend my morning packing a bag so that I can go to my parents' house to stay the weekend to dog sit.


WEEK #2
9/R/6/R/5/CT/R

Sunday: 9.01 miles - Since tweaking my knee last Thursday it's been feeling a little "eh," but not painful. I could definitely feel something was up with the knee, nonetheless. 


Tuesday: 5.01 miles - I was supposed to run six but I was having a little bit of a frustrating time. I was running around the park in my parents' neighborhood, and I was getting bogged down by loads of moms who were doing their walking thing after dropping the kids off from school. So one mile short cause I just couldn't run anymore... other than my knee feeling funny too. 

Thursday: 5.01 miles -Knee felt blah during the run, but I did alter my foot fall and it helped it out.

Friday: 0 miles/cross - I was waaay too tired to even get to work on time. I got up early enough to get to the gym, but I just couldn't get moving from my couch where I had eaten breakfast. I actually ended up falling back to sleep.

WEEK #3
6/R/6/R/6/CT/R

Sunday: 6.01 miles - A good 6 miler before I had to go to work. It was one of the first runs without my knee feeling nasty.

Tuesday: 6.01 miles - The run wasn't too bad, but I can remember that I was just glad it was over. At least the weather was getting better, and there was a nice breeze that cut some of the heat down.


Thursday: 6.01 miles - I was sooo frustrated at the end of the run. I couldn't understand why running 6 miles could be so hard. Of course, later that night I had a low grad fever and chills... So I was probably sick already.

Friday: 0 miles/cross - Sick day. No gym. Boo!


WEEK #4
11/R/6/R/6/CT/R

Sunday: 11.01 miles - I felt well enough to get out to the lake and run. I had set a minimum of 8 miles (if not less if I was suddenly wasn't feeling well), but I was feeling good towards the end. I did have to walk a lot during the last mile or so. In the end I was so glad that I was able to finish the miles. However, it took my 02:50:00, which is typically a slow half marathon pace for me, to complete the miles. That was disappointing, but I had to remember that I had a low fever for a day and a half leading up to that morning.

Tuesday: 6.01 miles - Six long and slow miles. I felt a little disheartened that it's still hard to complete a run as short as this. I think it's a mental game, but at the same time I know my body is not what is was a year ago. I was thinner and faster last year and was doing two mile intervals. But I know things change.

Thursday: 6.01 miles -This run was better, but still a challenge mentally. I did play around with how to carry my arms. Closer to the body seemed to have helped in my energy than when they were lower and more free. I'm going to play around with this a little more to see if it's will help get the miles done more efficiently.

Friday: 0 miles/cross - I didn't make to the gym this morning. My alarm went and I snoozed it so many times it was ridiculous! I know I stayed up past my bedtime by a little (I think I was in bed by 11 or 11:30, but that's kinda late for me... I think I'm getting old-ish). So I'm going to have to move my cross-training day to Monday morning. That may help things out. I'll try to do some strength training or yoga or a something on Friday to help get going, but I just won't be able to get the hot and heavy stuff done that morning any more.


THOUGHTS 
Well. Mentally, I feel like I'm not quite there in the training. I know last year I was all about training and it was all I could think about and look forward to. Well, that was because I was still getting over a break up, and basically all of last year's training was me getting over it all and becoming the new me. Oddly enough in the second half my training I met my boyfriend, who I'm madly in love with, and I'm so much happier now. So my motivation is different this time around. I feel like this year I'm seeing that I'm just a one flash in the pan in the marathon realm. Other than that, I know my body has changed. I'm not as thin as I use to be, but I'm just as strong as last year. I'm trying to not over analyze everything and get myself stuck in my head. I just want to be a good, fit, strong runner who can accomplish a goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment