Monday, September 7, 2015

Marathon Training Monday - Week #3 and Week #4

Hi everyone! Well,  these weeks focus on my first ever marathon training! Even though I do a weekly activity update for my One Mile a Day challenge, I thought try my hand of keeping readers update on how the training is going.

R = Rest*
# = Miles
CT = Cross Training

*Rest days I don't do anything other than chill/work/walk 1 mile. I may do light core workouts, especially if I missed it on CT day.


WEEK #3
7/R/3/4/3/R/CT

Sunday: 7 miles - Not a bad run at all. I ran more of this run than I did the 10k I did the previous Sunday. I tried a Honey Stinger Waffle lemon flavored as my mi-run fuel, and I it worked ok. I didn't have any urge to go to the bathroom this time around!

Tuesday: 3.15 miles - OK, this morning was a little rough getting up, but it was still a good run.

Wednesday: Cross Training - I rode a 20 minute 2.6 miles on a spin cycle. Since I had important to stuff to take of after CT I didn't have time to work on core and arms. Knowing this ahead a time I tried to wake up early to do this before work, but I good not get myself out of bed!

Thursday: 4.1 miles - Really good temperature this particular morning, which was great when I faced my first mid-week mileage increase. Not bad at all. I'm ran through a neighborhood that has some good size rolling hills, which was definitely a workout.

Friday: 3.11 miles - I definitely impressed myself when I woke up early enough to get a run in and take care of some big chores before community and getting to work on time. I was definitely :: tired :: when I got to work, but I was still pretty happy with how I managed it. Now I just need to be able to make a good strong cup of coffee and I may be set!

WEEK #4
5/R/3/4/3/R/CT 

Sunday: 5.16 miles - The last small run on a Sunday in my training schedule! It was a good run around a neighborhood (I didn't want to drive out to the lake just run 5 miles). The weather was good, fall is coming slowly but surely, and I wasn't pushing too hard this time.

Tuesday: 3.11 miles - A little hard run on the thighs and hips during this run, but it was good. Did a 5k in 33 minutes and some change, which was fun to try.

Wednesday: 2.00 miles - For cross-training I did some cycling on a non-spinning bike. Well, I say that because it looked like this here. I was wondering how much of a workout I would get on it, but I certainly did feel it. It says I cycled for just over 4.5 miles, but I wasn't sure it that was accurate (I can never tell!) so I'll say I did 2 miles in 20 minutes like usual. After cycling I did some work on the weights machine. I really wanted to to have a workout where I could feel it, but at the same time I was hoping I didn't over do it and make my run the next morning rough.

Thursday: 4.11 miles - I slept in a bit this morning. It wasn't that I wanted to go out I just didn't want to leave the soft bed I was in. Plus, I was feeling a sore muscle in my calf. I tried to roll it out last night and that's when I figure I may have a knot that doesn't like being rolled. Who knows. I'll be careful with it. Almost half way through this run I yelled out that I "hated hills!" but quickly kept me going by shouting, "Hills are awesome!". There is certainly a love/hate relationship with hills for me... and as with any runner, really.

Friday: 3.10 miles - Well, I got up and ran even though wanted to sleep. I made good time, another 33 minutes and some change 5k, which is nice. I was able to get clean and dressed and out the door to buy coffee and still by on time to work for a meeting that included breakfast tacos! But! I couldn't get myself to stop sweating before or after my shower. Eeeeew! I hate that!

THOUGHTS 
In some respects Week #3 was easier than Week #4 in terms of waking up in the morning. I slept in more during this past week, but that's ok. Week #4 I some of my muscles were tired too, but I've been working on foam rolling and such to help them recover. Overall, I think I'm still doing pretty good! Next week I start the longer LSD Sunday runs!


Stay tuned for the recap of Week #5 and Week #6!

No comments:

Post a Comment