Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I Run Because...

You've seen 'em. I've seen 'em. We all have seen 'em. All of those "I Run Because...." memes, posters, merchandise (tees, tanks, water bottles) out there on the web, especially Pinterest. Some runners find them simply funny, or true, or wrong, or... even... insulting...
The bottle that started it all. 
Wait. What? Insulting?

Yep. I never thought of that until I read through the comments for a Pinterest pin for a Lululemon water bottle you see here. Some people were expressing how insulting it was. "Can't we just run because we like running?" someone commented. I wish I'd pinned that pin just for the comments a long, but I didn't. Oh well.

Why do we run?

It's natural. Or it should be, at least. Didn't our ancestors walked everywhere and running was a way to get there faster? Children run all the time. You, me, everyone, as a child, ran (go ask your mom!)! Nowadays running is a way to stay fit. We also run because we need to let go (temporarily runaway?) of a bad day or to feel free.

But also we run because we actually do like running. Believe it or not.

I have a love/hate relationship running. As usual.

I run because...
  • I can (and hope that I never meet the day that I can't) 
  • It makes me feel good 
  • It gives me confidence (you have no idea how important this is!) 
  • I like a good sweat  
  • I need the work out
  • Cause I'm lazy and need my butt kicked 
  • I love pizza 
  • I love desserts 
  • I love candy  
  • It's technically cheaper than therapy (if you don't count race fees and shoes)
  • Because I can say I did it 
  • I know that my haters can't complete more than a 5k but I can run a half marathon (harsh, but true) 
  • I would be able to out run the zombies (unless they're the World War Z type) 
  • I can wear awesome shirts like these (hint-hint, wink-wink to my fan club)...
Seriously, I LOVE pizza! You. Have. No. Idea.

Awesome.
  • I can laugh, agree and commiserate with things like these! 

A runner's dream!
I've gone through two black toenails, and before running I had fencer feet!
Rawr! Out run the dinos!

Why do you like running? 

Images found here, here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment