Wednesday, October 12, 2016

BCS Marathon Training - Progress Report 2

I've changed things up a little in the training schedule. Since I was having trouble waking up early enough on Fridays for cross training, I've switched to Monday for gym cross training. I'm still going to try to get a kettlebell work out on Friday morning, but I can basically jump out of bed and do that in my apartment. We'll see how it goes!

Here's what's going on so far in training!

KEY
R = Rest*
# = Miles (running or cycling)
CT = Cross Training


*Rest days I don't do anything other than chill/work/walk 1 mile. I may do light core workouts, especially if I missed it on CT day.

WEEK #5
12/CT/6/R/6/CT/R

Sunday: 12.01 miles - This was such a great run! The weather was perfect. Only a little too warm at the very end. I

Monday: 7.35 miles cross training - This was a good training day. I actually went to the gym! Cycled for 30 minutes. Then I did a 20 minute kettlebell workout. I should have done the kettlebell another time or just start doing it more often cause I was so sore the next few days.

Tuesday: 6.01 miles - Slow run. So sore! Ack!


Thursday: 6.01 miles -I finally loosened up during this run, but not a lot. I was still sore, but it was definitely better! It was sooo humid this day! I was dripping sweat from the brim of my hat! I totally ran in the shade back and forth, back and forth to help me survive!

Friday: 0 miles/cross - I didn't do any cross training this day since I was so sore. Plus, as expected I was tired! 

WEEK #6
9/CT/8/R/7/R/3.1

Sunday: 9.01 miles - This was a good run. I purposely made myself walk to get the timing right for a surprise party for my boyfriend that turned into a surprise engagement party for the both of us. It was a little harder to do than the 12 last week, but I also think it was the heat and humidity that was getting to me.

Monday: 7.33 miles cross training - I rode for 30 minutes on the gyms' cycle. I did a little arm work out with the kittlebell, but nothing of significance.



Tuesday: 6.52 miles -  Running 6.5 instead of 8 was a great idea (remember I'm running a 5k race on Saturday) cause I don't think I was mentally prepared for it. I'm glad I had the htought that I could just minus out the mileage that I'll be running on Saturday at the Plano Balloon Fest 5k. Not that running 3.1 miles could push me over into over training, but I was thinking of my long run this coming Sunday, which is set for 14 miles. I don't want to be tired for it.

Thursday: 5.50 miles - This was a mentally tough run. But I got it done. Thankfully it was cooler than last Thursday!

Friday: 0 miles/cross - Nothing! Exhausted as usual this morning and was just happy to make it to work on time! I know I sound like a broken record when I say I'll try again next week. However, I'm starting to think that won't happen.

Saturday: 3.10 miles - Plano Balloon Fest 5k. It was a good little race. A little challenging because of all the other runners. It started to thin out around mile 2 or so. I ran the entire thing in 34 minutes, which was nice. 

WEEK #7
14/CT/8/R/7/CT/R

Sunday: 14.01 miles - Horrible run. I hated it. My heart and my head wasn't into it from the moment I woke up, especially since there was potential rain/storms heading my way. It was humid. I was already a little achy from the race the day before. I got rained on twice, which was fine with me cause I felt a little bad ass. But then I got a little chilly. Then my feet were achy cause they were in wet socks and shoes. I was ready for home. I pushed through the last 6 miles after I stopped by the car to dry my phone off and find a plastic bag for it. I seriously talking to myself that maybe this would be my last marathon training and just focus on half marathons after this year. We'll see. I was so happy to be home and dry.

Monday: 0 miles - I didn't do any cross training today. 

Tuesday: 7.51 miles - I split the two mid-week miles evenly, which I started doing during last year's marathon training. This was a good run with good weather and temps. Little humidity. So nice. I'll take more like it. Since my shoes were were still damp I did get to run in a new pair, which felt great. But I'm not yet ready to transition to a new pair yet, but they were oh, so nice.

Thursday: 7.51 miles - Another good run! This is great! Granted I had a heck of a time to wake up, but I definitely had some personal stuff to run through. I felt good during the run. After the run.... not so much. Extreme tiredness and mental exhaustion kicked in. I should get some gold stars for making it through work.

Friday: 0 miles/cross - No cross training today either.


WEEK #8
15/CT/8/R/7/CT/R

Sunday: 15.01 miles - This was a really good run! I got to the lake super early, and was surprised as to how many runners were out there already. It wasn't even light out! The run was easy goes it for the most part. I decided that I would double back every so often instead running back then down the other side of the lake. I think that helped my mental block that sometimes happens after I get past 8 miles. I had given myself 4 hrs to complete the run (if it was going bad), and I got it done in 03:25 (complete with potty break). So, not too bad. I felt very accomplished!

Monday: 00 miles/cross - Completely unmotivated today. Nothing done again.

Tuesday: 7.51 miles - This was a challenging run during the middle of it. My muscles felt tired. I was dehydrated the day before, which doesn't help. Plus, I didn't go to the gym and cycle out in kinks from Sunday. Oh, well.

Thursday: 7.51 miles - Sluggish miles. I was muscle-tired going into the run, which pretty much was the reason why it took time and effort to complete.

Friday: 0 miles/cross -

Saturday: 13.20 miles- I had a good race experience at the Showdown Half Marathon in Fairview. I decided to wear a newer pair of shoes for the cushion, which was the best decision I made. I think I fueled properly, which was some waffles and peanut butter before I got to the race. Then one of those new Clif Nut-Filled bars 30 minutes before the start. I had extra waffles and peanut butter for fueling during the race. I did have to pee a couple times during the race, which was annoying, but manageable. It was good race overall, and it was nice to be back in my average finish time. I did feel pretty achy when I got home, to be expected. After a nap I went out to shop, and I got achy (right in the hip area) again. I'm not sure if I didn't stretch properly or if I'm just starting to feel things more during training.

THOUGHTS 

There were a lot of ups and downs mentally during the last four weeks. Toward the end of this month I was also feeling it physically. As of right now, I'm not sure if I'm gonna be running another full marathon after the BCS in December. Of course, that could all change.



No comments:

Post a Comment