Friday, January 23, 2015

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Running Buddies

Some days it's great to have someone to run with. Some days... not so much!

I've had a couple running buddies over my short running life. All of them have been coworkers who joined me on the running crusade. We really didn't start training together until we peer pressured ourselves into registering for our very first half marathon (after doing a number of 5ks) together.

Currently, I don't have a Running Buddy (RB) since my long runs end up either on a Sunday morning when others go to church (I know I should too...) or Monday morning when everyone else is working. Sure, I miss the camaraderie of a fellow runner, but sometimes it's nice to be alone.

Let me share with you a few things I've learned along the way having an RB. Ladies and gents, here is my list of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly about having a running buddy (also the Do's and the Don'ts).

THE GOOD
  1. Your buddy can keep you accountable! 
  2. Your friendship can grow. 
  3. You have a support system right next to you when you think you can't make it.  
  4. You don't obsess focus on running (like paying attention to your Garmin and how march farther you have to go) as much because your busy talking. 
  5. If your RB is also your SO, you can give each great massages after a long run! 
  6. If you don't have a RB you learn to be a stronger runner. 
  7. You'r RB could actually be a dog! 

THE BAD
  1. You're accountable. Yes, you do have to wake up at the crack of dawn to run 10 miles! 
  2. Your RB talks about their life and not ask about yours. 
  3. You accidentally insult them without realizing it. 
  4. You wish you had an RB when you end up running in a questionable place alone.
  5. If you don't have a RB you sometimes lack that motivational need to continue on. 

THE UGLY
  1. You discover that you really don't like your RB.
  2. They may share details of a mid-run convo with other people.  
  3. Your RB misunderstood the time you were suppose to meeet and they start training without you (not to mention not calling you but rather FBing you).
  4. You rely on someone else to keep you motivated and you don't tap into you inner self for strength. 

THE DO's
Chit chat. 
Yes, talk! Not only does it help you make sure you're not pushing too hard pace-wise, it's just a very natural thing to do. Talk about running, how's life treating each other. Depending on how well you know your RB (friends, besties, coworkers) and trust  them you can go as in-depth as you feel like. After awhile, my RBs would run out of things to say (no pun intended) because we weren't really besties and/or we just got too focused on running and staying upright!

Double check the time the two of you are meeting. 
Here's my little story. RB1 said 7am. Then a day or so later it was 8am. I doubled checked and she agreed to meet at 8am to drive down to the lake together. So I told RB2 about the time changed. That morning, I get a Facebook private massage (which my phone is not set to notify me for) asking where I was.... It was 7am. She did not phone text me or call me. Since I was still sleeping, unaware, for another half hour she decided to go ahead and drive herself to the lake. I discover all of this 30 minutes later and had to scramble. I was so. so. so. mad! RB2 and I still managed to meet up and run, AND still make it to breakfast with RB1, but it was so frustrating. Talk about being motivated. Ran my (at that point) fastest 10k that morning. So fellow runners, double and triple check your meet up times!

THE DON'Ts 
If your RB is a coworker, don't vent about work.
Well, technically you can talk about the light part of work, but certain aspects of it are bothering about it, do not release that frustration on your RB/coworker. Never. Ever. Nope. Nada. Do not do it!

Don't get mad when your RB when they pull shit.
Just get even. Naw. Just joking. Be mad or pissed or frustrated for a little but then get over it. In all seriousness, most of the shit could be done by accident. Give them the benefit of the doubt. After awhile, if it still bothers you - talk your RB about it!

LINKS
I was looking for other runners and sport sites who shared similar advice and found these:

Run, Eat, Run: The Perks of Being A Running Partner 
Nicki Miller - Competitor.com
http://running.competitor.com/2014/02/staff-blog/run-eat-run-the-perks-of-being-a-running-partner_95228

The DO's and DON'Ts of Running with Buddies 
Melinda - Melinda Hinson Neely
http://melindahinsonneely.com/blog/running-marathons-fitness/the-do%E2%80%99s-and-don%E2%80%99ts-of-running-with-buddies/

Dos and Don'ts of Running with a Buddy 
Fitness Magazine
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/blogs/fitstop/2012/03/27/fitness/dos-and-donts-of-running-with-a-buddy/


Do you have any tips, likes, dislikes about having a Running Buddy? 


All this being said, I ran with my a coworker RB (who is typically faster than me, but I managed to stay with her... or was it that she slowed down? Either way... awesome!) during the holiday and it have to say it was wonderful. I miss it.

Source of image of Clint Eastwood found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment